ArtXposed #3

artsXpose

Title Blog post “Artsxpose #1, 2, 3 ect…

Andy Warhol  Other Voices, Other Rooms                                                              

December 4, 2008  5pm-8pm                                                                        

Wexner Center for the Arts Columbus, Ohio                                                                                   

Exhibition* (non-course related)       

1.)  Provide a brief detail-oriented technical description or summary of the event you attended.  This section should remain journalistic and should not be reflective of your opinion.

The gallery exhibit started out with some of Andy’s most famous printed works. The famous Marilyn Monroe, soup cans and camo prints were just a few. After that room there were a few more, containing some of his lesser famous, video works.

2.)  Use the section below to write a well-structured paragraph focusing on your personal critical insight / response to the event.  How did you interpret or react to what was presented to you? 

Personally I think Andy Warhol is an amazing artist. His works were creative, inventive, and beautifully rendered, but after that exhibit I think he’s a little crazy. His video’s were completely random, and in my opinion, completely unnecessary. I don’t think pictures of his penis throughout the years, or a video of a man painting with a paintbrush in his asshole is something that very many people every wanted to see. His prints were beautiful, but I never plan to see his video’s again.

3.)  What information, ideas, images, etc. most impressed you and why?

His Marilyn Monroe pictures have always been my favorite, as well as his ‘Flowers’ done in 1964. The Mick Jagger was a piece I had never seen before though, and it really impressed me. Andy went through a bunch of trial and error before he figured out what he wanted. Sometimes I get really frustrated when I have to do the same piece over and over again, but I’m learning it’s a very necessary process.

4.)  Overall, how would you rate this event (10 being the most worthwhile)?
            8

5.)  Justify your rating in the question above:

As I said before, all of the print works was very worth my time and I enjoyed see all of them old and new. But some of the video’s made me less impressed with the collection as a whole, and therefore I had to rate this exhibit a little less.