Friday Activity 1

Activity 1

Topics for literacy narrative:

1.) Summer reading at a library-I chose this sponsor because living in a small town, the library is the center of the community and became my main literacy sponsor. The ideal reader for this approach would be anyone who could relate to small town isolation and the resources we cling to as substitution. They would bring with them similar experiences with noncompetitive sponsors. Literacy would be hobby and fun based to this reader.

2.) Lack of access to certain technologies– I chose this lack of access because I believe not being exposed to the technology that is available now greatly impacted my development in literacy. The ideal reader for this approach would be anyone that did not have easy access to newer technologies such as computers and cell phones growing up. This reader would be a late bloomer in using technology versus someone who was exposed earlier on. Literacy to this reader would be understood better through books and hard copy.

3.) Pizza Hut reading programs– I chose this sponsor not because of competition reasons, but because it involved my family in my reading. The ideal reader for this approach would be anyone who wants to read for competition or family bonding. This reader could relate to wanting attention from his or her parents or peers. Literacy to this reader could be misunderstood and under appreciated and the reader may be using the program for reasons not directly related to enhancing their literacy.

4.) Jobs worked– I have not worked many types of jobs and this has affected my literacy. I have worked one job for 5 years with other small jobs for a few weeks to a few months and therefore have only acquired certain literacies. The ideal reader for this approach would be anyone who feels that their lifestyle has affected their access to different literacy. This reader would have a highly developed type of literacy in one specific area but not in others. Literacy to this reader may be seen through a tunnel vision spectrum.

5.) Writing poetry and journals– Using these outlets helped me develop my literacy capabilities and shaped my feelings toward creative literacy. The ideal reader for this approach would be anyone who expressed themselves best in a creative or private way. This reader would value vocabulary and may or may not want to share his or her expressions of literacy. Literacy to this reader is personal, unique, and who they allow to read it would be selective.

2 thoughts on “Friday Activity 1

1. odolch
    6:01 pm - 2-5-2009

I can relate to you on many of your topics! I am from a small town also, so the Library was the place to be!! I also worked at a daycare in the same town, and we regularly visited the library, and the kids loved it!! When learning how to use literacy, technology was not as prevalent as it is today. Sometimes kids know how to use the computer before they care read a book!! And obviously we can see how the “digital divide” affects this issue. I did the Pizza hut thing too, but I cheated sometimes! (bad I know!!) This is the first time I have used blogs extensively, and I use it in my Spanish class also. I had one I used in high school called “Xanga,” sometimes I go back and look at my entries…they make me laugh! But it shows my progress of literacy.
    Good ideas, good luck on your paper!!

2. bcottri
    8:07 pm - 2-8-2009

You’ve picked a lot of really interesting possible topics for your literacy narrative, Alana. I really like that you decided to list more personal writing (poetry and journal writing). I don’t think anyone else has mentioned that but I think that personal writing can be very important in our development as literate people. You seem to have some really good ideas about your audiences as well. Nice work.