Ice Arena Tour Reflection

December 2nd, 2010

ice arena
Part 1 – Examine the flooring and surfaces in the BGSU Ice Arena (locker rooms, hall ways, lobby, lounge, walls, ceilings, etc.) for their efficiency.
While on the tour of the Ice Arena I did notice the new renovations that have been made. Although they’ve been somewhat small, they are noticeable. A large part that was pointed out throughout the tour was the flooring. The new locker rooms had specialized flooring in the changing areas and in the bathroom areas. This makes for easier clean up and the resistance of germs/diseases. The locker room floors were nicely remodeled, but as pointed out in our tour, the floors in the main rink weren’t up to par. The new floor materials put in for skaters to be able to walk around was randomly cut out in one large triangular section. This made the flooring look odd and undesirable and made parts of the floor susceptive to damage from skates.
The new flooring in the main entrance hallway was one of the first things I noticed when I walked in. It looks nice and new and really makes the area look better than it did before, even though it’s a small change. The flooring adds a fresh look to the entrance and that’s important because it is what visitors are first seeing when they enter the facility. There was only one section of the flooring that really turned me off and that was in the lounge area. The new renovations added nice neutral paint colors to the wall that look sleek, but the floor pattern and color chosen drew you straight to them. It was a gaudy design, ugly colors and it just looked outdated. I was shocked to hear that it was new carpeting!

Part 2 – What is your overall impression of the BGSU Ice Arena? Does it meet the needs of BGSU and the Bowling Green community or are other updates necessary?
As I said before, I noticed the small changes that had been made so far, but I think the Ice Arena still has a ways to go before it’s a sharp, up to date facility. The new lighting features, locker rooms, and curling ice are great features. They give a nice feel to the ice arena, but the other phases need to be completed before the Ice Arena comes out of the 1960’s. As of right now the facility meets the needs of community members and students, but further renovations need to be made so the building looks complete and put together. Once this happens I think the Ice Arena will become a larger part of the campus facilities and will be recognized/used more often.

For more on the BGSU Ice Arena:
http://www.bgsu.edu/map/buildings/page19793.html

One thought on “Ice Arena Tour Reflection

1. steve
    3:20 PM - 12-3-2010

WITH ALL THIS TOURING I HOPE YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO STUDY