My favorite thing …

My most prized possession would surely be a hardy, spiny, green cycuspotted plant. This plant is like a sibling to me. We have practically grown up together. Looking back I feel it has been my mate since I was a little girl.

I remember when we had recently shifted into our new bigger house that had both, front lawn and a kitchen garden in the backyard. I had yet not made friends in the neighborhood and so I spent most of my timeindoors, my parents gave into my pestering for bringing home a pup.

One day my mother came home with a small potted plant, A “Cycus” .She asked me to take care of it and water it from time to time, now I know it was to inculcate.

I sense of responsibility in me. In a couple of days I had to rescue thisplant whom I named as ‘Spiky’ , our pup who decided to explore spiky’sroots . I brought spiky in the family room and propped it onto a high chair closest to the window, the chair that spiky gracefully occupied for many years to come , saving a visit to the garden once in a couple of months . Since then spiky has been a part of all our family discussions,aspirations, decisions, festivals and functions. It was a mute spectator toeverything in that room, if ever we kept it out for a day or two, everyone would start complaining about that corner looking very vacant and so there was spiky back into the room .As I grew up , so did spiky , each whorl of leaves like the years I added to myself , as I grew taller , so did it .

This plant is really special to me not only because it was gifted to me by my mother, with an aim of making me grow up into a responsible and caring individual (that I learned for sure!),but also because it has been a constant companion in my growing years.

I took care of it time to time, watering it, taking it out in the sunlight,carefully planting the bulbs out that grew around it. I feel spiky has been a part of our family .When I finally move on in my life and into my own place , it would be my treasure to carry with me , so that it can be a reminder of the home that I grew up in…..

4 thoughts on “My favorite thing …

1. mbadwil
    10:39 pm - 9-11-2014

it is a nice gift from your mom and i like the name you give it to the plant ”Cycus. Also, it is marvelous to take care of Cycus in that way.

2. Isha Rastogi
    11:52 am - 9-17-2014

Thank you so much ! and yes I did learn a lot by taking care of the plant !

3. Haoqing Li
    1:54 am - 12-3-2014

thanks for sharing and i knew some good information in those paper! it is a good memory i think

4. human hair gears
    7:05 am - 10-2-2017

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website.

It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance”
    between usability and appearance. I must say you’ve done a amazing job with this.

Additionally, the blog loads very quick for me on Safari.
    Outstanding Blog!