Morganne’s Story

Morganne Rodabaugh, B.A. in Communication (2014)
Student Supervisor – Aquatics (2012-14)

Every day I am reminded of the contributions RecWell has had on developing my lifelong goals.
In the Fall of 2011, I became a student employee for the Department of Recreation and Wellness. At the time, I did not anticipate the profound impact the department would have on my future. I have been a BGSU alumnus for over a year now, and every day I am reminded of the contributions RecWell has had on developing my lifelong goals.

I started as a lifeguard at the Student Recreation Center (SRC). A great aspect of the department is that it allows its employees to expand their leadership skills. I spent a few months as a lifeguard working my way up to a Crew Chief Lifeguard, Learn to Swim Instructor, and eventually holding the Aquatic Student Supervisor and Learn to Swim Coordinator position. In addition, I attained a Lifeguard Instructor certification allowing me to teach health and safety topics. Each position provided me with new learning experiences and unforgettable memories!

The two years I spent as the Aquatic Student Supervisor were the best years I had at Bowling Green State University. While it was challenging at times, I was able to develop as a leader, and I gained characteristics needed to succeed outside of college. As a Student Supervisor, I managed staff schedules, coordinated the Learn to Swim Program, and planned staff meetings, among multiple other responsibilities. The best part of it all was meeting all the wonderful people. Not only were the professional staff and student employees extraordinary people, but the members of the SRC have had an everlasting influence on me as well.

I have to also highlight the Student Development and Leadership meetings that the department provides for all employees. These are meetings employees can attend to meet other RecWell employees and strengthen their skills as an employee and student. If you are a RecWell student employee and you have not had a chance to attend one of these meetings, I recommend you attend. There is great food, awesome people, and RecBucks!

A great opportunity for all Student Supervisors is to take part in the Student Employee Board (SEB). During these meetings, I was able to collaborate with other Student Supervisors and learn more about the other areas of the department. The SEB provides yet another opportunity for students to hold leadership positions. During my final year as the Aquatic Student Supervisor, I was honored with the opportunity to co-plan and facilitate the End of the Year Banquet.

At this banquet, I was awarded the 2014 Student Supervisor of the Year award. I was beyond grateful for this acknowledgement because I knew I was among a well deserving group of student supervisors. I must give credit to my wonderful Aquatic family for their support and for allowing me to evolve in my position. I am grateful for the experience and for the people I have met. I want to say thank you to everyone at Recreation and Wellness for the best years of my life and for paving the path to my future. Continue to inspire others!

Read More Testimonials

Learn More About Aquatics