rdannen’s blog

Teaching Art with Books Kids Love

Filed under: Uncategorized — rdannen at 3:42 pm on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I like the book that was required for this class, Teaching Art with Books Kids Love.  I thought the author did a good job of simplifying everything so that anyone could read the book and understand what the author was talking about.  Every section starts out with a definition of the topic and then there are several examples following.  Within each section, there are fine art examples and children’s literature examples and then explorations.  Every section talks about the different popular books that relate to the certain topic and there are projects that the children can do that go along with the book.  All of the projects are well written and easy to follow.  Most of the project ideas are accompanied by pictures, too.  The book gives really good ideas of what activities will help children understand each element of art and most of the activities are not too challenging for children to complete.  There are even examples of how to hook the children into the activity.  Overall, I really liked the book and I think it is a good resource to have to help children understand art without a lecture.  I will probably keep this book to use during my years of teaching.