9/18 readers response

The prompt I am going to chose to write on is the one that has to do with whether or not parents have a right to monitor the various web accounts of their teens. I chose this particular prompt because I feel the most strongly about it over the other two topics.

The side I am going to argue on this topic would have to be the side that the teens are on, or in other words, I am against parents monitoring their teens web accounts. I feel strongly about this because I do not believe at all that parents should be able to view and monitor their teens personal things online. It’s the same thing as if a teen wrote in a diary every night before they go to bed and put personal things about their life in it, and their parents read it while they were gone. It isn’t right at all. Yes, I understand that the parents have concerns about their kid posting things about themselves online for anybody to see, but for the most part kids only post information for people they know to see, and make sure nobody suspicious can read their personal things.

There are many things a teen can do online and for the most part they know how to be safe. There is no reason for their parents to monitor what they do. I don’t see anything wrong with a parent asking what they post online or ask their kids if they are being safe online, but asking for information of their kids web accounts is taking it too far. If a kid says they don’t want their parent to monitor what they do online, a parent should leave it at that.