Research Method Blog

My group was assigned to do interviews in Second Life. We came up with some general questions to ask hoping to lead into bigger conversations. I ran across more problems then positives. First off where i was in Second Life and the few places I had time to teleport to, not that many people were there. I couldnt find a place that had lots of people to chat with. I talked to a few people but it was a person who spoke another language. no luck. I would ask simple questions like “Whats to do here” “WHered you get those boots”  or I would talk about what others were saying. I would get a few answers and then the people would leave. I couldnt get more then a few words.

I was approaced by the vampire like someone else in the class was. 🙂 I denied

I ran across a strip club in second life and it blew my mind how detailed it was. You could order drinks and you got to pick what you wanted to drink. a bar tender would get it for you and then ask for a tip.  at both strip clubs that i went to you as an avatar could APPLY at both. it was a real document you have to fill out about your avatar and send to someones email. SOmething else that blew my mind, after you asked for an application a adocument popped up with the rules for employees. things such as being late for work were not allowed. if you couldnt make it to work ou had to find someone to cover for you. you had to devot so many hours to promotions each week. dancers got 80% of the tips they earn.other avatars could come watch you and tip you.Not only that when i applied there were guide lines “Your avatar must be in good shape, petite” “Your skin tone must be pretty and smooth, eyes and pretty legs were a plus”……Just like in real life there is discrimination in second life, there are values that as a society we are trying to shy away from, such as skinny is the only beautiful.

Second LIfe is deeper then I thought it was.