Our lab space is divided into 2 adjacent areas, with office space for 5-6 students, separate areas for noisy or hot equipment and quiet sample processing, and an informal area with couches for planning and lab meetings.
We are accumulating equipment that should be a great help in facilitating research activities. Some of the major items are listed below:
1. 4WD Lab Truck [For field work]
2. Las Gatos Triple Liquid Water Isotope Analyzer (and vapor injection port) [numerous applications, including tracing water sources used by plants and animals and measuring animal metabolic and water loss rates]
3. A low-vibration Memmert environmental chamber with temperature, humidity, and lighting controls [For lab experiments on vibration sensitive species]
4. Dissecting scopes [For identifying arthropods]
5. Mettler-Toledo analytical balance capable of measuring to the nearest microgram [numerous applications, including determining the hydration of small insects and preparation for isotope analysis]
6. Cryogenic extraction line for water isotope analysis [extracting water from biological and soil samples]
Additional lab and field equipment (e.g. YSI Sonde, soil moisture sensors, iButtons, etc).
There are also resources available for use outside of our lab:
1. The Ecology Research Station (http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/biological-sciences/facilities-and-resources/field-stations.html)
2. Greenhouse (http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/biological-sciences/facilities-and-resources/greenhouse-facilities.html)
3. Other facilities and resources (http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/biological-sciences/facilities-and-resources.html)