Party hard!

Last year, I never considered going to parties would be an option for meeting people. I thought that all it could bring me was trouble, including dumb drunken antics and puke-stained clothing. Seeing as I am a major emetophobe (I cannot even look at vomit without running in terror), the idea of a college party was repulsive.

Worst of all, massive gatherings of people are intimidating. When there are too many people, it is a challenge to make yourself stand out. When there aren’t a lot of people, it makes me stand out like a sore thumb because I don’t really know anyone, and my nervousness shows.

To make a long story short, I now attend parties.

Why? Because last year, I never did, and I didn’t meet people that way either.

The key to making a party a success is your attitude. All of the pitfalls I listed above are simply stereotypes and fears. Most of the time, these fears are unfounded. Other times, it just feels good to face your fear and throw chance to the wind.

So, what does a mild-mannered, methodical guy like me do to prepare for a party? Well, I checked out this website, http://zenhabits.net/eight-essential-tips-to-overcoming-shyness-and-making-a-good-impression/, and took its advice.

The most important step on the site is introduce yourself, because I have learned that standing by myself reveals my fearful and pessimistic attitude. Find yourself a comfortable chair, preferably next to people who look like they could provide a good conversation, and get comfortable yourself. If the conversation seems appealing, join in.

Even if there isn’t a conversation going on, start one up yourself. I have made many friends just by sitting down in a comfortable seat, and asking the people next to me how they were doing. This can spark a conversation about why everyone came to the party, and it is often revealed that we have mutual acquaintances, allowing for endless conversation possibilities.

My favorite tip on the website, though, is “Ask more, talk less.” It states that people love talking about themselves. This is true—who do you know better than yourself? This is another great way to keep conversations going, and it can allow you to show your generous side.

Soon enough, you may be asked questions. Don’t oversell yourself—another website rule—but just answer honestly.

If the conversation keeps going, then you have probably made a new friend.

Now let’s party!

About Bobby Waddle

Bobby Waddle is a third-year print journalism student at Bowling Green State University.
This entry was posted in Main Text and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.