The “R-word”

I often talk to my classes (i.e., lecture) about avoiding using the “R-word.” I find this necessary because I actually hear students use the “r-word” in class to refer to themselves or to another person, and the first time I hear it, out comes the lecture. Despite my comments, I frequently continue to hear the use of the word, and I know students use it out of my range of hearing. Perhaps they have used the “r-word” so frequently it has become a habit. Perhaps they don’t find the “r-word” offensive themselves. Perhaps they don’t care if someone is offended by the “r-word.” But here is fair warning to all of my students—I find that word very offensive—please do not use it. I’ll go further and encourage you to discourage your friends and family members from using it. 

In any case, here we are at the beginning of the semester and I have not yet talked to my students about this topic. I’m hoping I won’t have to. I’m hoping they will read the article I’ve linked to below and will get the message. One never knows who one will offend by using this horrid word, so please, take a few minutes and at least skim the article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-shriver22-2008aug22,0,4571473.story?track=ntothtml