Jordan Stine's Blog

Project Two: In-Store Display Brand

March 2nd, 2010 by jrstine

There are many different and awful ways people display books. One way, which is seen a lot and you really can’t help is on a straight shelf. It’s not the worst way really like I said it can’t be helped. You have a lot of books and it’s the easiest way to display them all. Libraries do it, large book stores as well. Of course at those places they have directories that help the whole book search a lot easier. Another way is a theme display. You see them in kid sections and christian book stores. Also this works. It creates an interest and sells the book. But my problem with that is the books are the design. Someone buys your book you’re out part of your design. The third way book stores display books and it is my most hated way to display and sell a book. They stand the books on a table. It incorporates the the first two problems I have with displaying book. You can’t see all the books and you take a book away your design goes (and sometime the books go down like dominos!).

My idea is to design three small shelving units for a book store chain down in Dayton, OH call Books & Co. The first would be a new releases book shelf. Something small but more “flashy,” most likely put in the front of the store. Maybe even used outside as a sidewalk seller. My idea is to have eight individual boxes either for eight book titles or one book title in one display, could be used however. Second display would be for book of the month. Like i said before it could be used however, this is just my idea. It’s a tall design with 6 notches or slates to stager the books down to the bottom. Lastly I would design a regular shelf with a step stool design with books at the top and stager out to the bottom. The whole brand would be designed around Books & Co. and incorporate a kind of coffee house design. Most books stores are either turning into coffee shops or putting a coffee shop in they’re store. Books & Co. has one on both floors. I’d like to use the back chalk board in the displays to say what the new releases are or what the book of the month is. Maybe if the books are 40% off or something like that.

Posted in Uncategorized