Goldwasser essay questions and notes

Making Connections

I probably only spend an hour or less reading each day.  I typically only read my textbooks for classes and magazines from time to time.

The information that I look up each day ranges from course materials to guitar tabs.  I like to look up many things about guitar players and bands that I like.  Most commonly I will use the internet to look up all of these things. It is just the easiest way to find everything that I need.  My answers would definitely be different without the internet. I use it for everything.

Goldwasser is saying how are you going to know something unless someone tells you about it and it easy to look it up on the internet but you won’t look unless someone tells you to look for it.  I believe she is right in her thinking because its up to the parents or teachers to introduce these topics.

A Well Presented Issue

It reframes the issue by saying the kids in this generation are expanding many topics like the presidential debate on youtube.  This generation puts out ads and buys so many products even by accident. We is talking about Goldwasser’s generation.  They is talking about today’s my generation.

A Well Supported Position

In the 7th paragraph Goldwasser is saying that her generation is afraid of ours.  She uses evidence like how we drove the presidential debates onto youtube and we will probably determine this election.  She also states that we are responsible for the enduring consumer cultural phenomenon like ipod, itunes, movies, and coffee.

An Effective Counterargument

I think the strategy of restating the common core is very effective for her readers.  Using someone else’s points in the opposite way is pretty much like throwing the garbage right back in their face.  Personally I like that a lot. Someone who who can throw a punch right back has my attention and I believe others in my generation also.

AWR 197-218 notes

Facts are objective.  Interpretations spell out the implications of facts.  Evaluations are debatable judgments about a set of facts or a situation.

Choose a question with personal significance.  Make your question specific.  Find a challenging question.

Subject directory-a listing of broad categories.

This entry was posted in Notes. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Goldwasser essay questions and notes

1. mgrohow says:

Jesse,
    Your analysis of Goldwasser is spot on. As I was reading the blogs of your peers, no one had mentioned the call Goldwasser poses to adults: that they have a valuable role in this situation. As an instructor dealing with technology, I also have a role to play, one that may be daunting if I don’t engage in the technological practices of my students.

I also appreciate you mentioning our role in driving consumerism–Goldwasser uses many points that I think target the values and beliefs or her audience, don’t you?

Lastly, I enjoyed reading that you liked her use of counterargument. Perhaps you’ll do as Goldwasser did in your next essay when exploring a counterargument to your thesis; which you phrased as “using someone else’s points in the opposite way is pretty much like throwing the garbage right back in their face.” Hopefully if you do throw someone else’s point back into their face, you do so respectfully. 🙂