Chapter 2

I found this chapter rather interesting and surprising. The chapter began by discussing different ways that people use the Internet such as communicating, shopping, research, etc. One quote I found interesting was “students are strong believers in the power of technology to enrich their learning experiences. They have ideas about their futures that include using technology tools for learning and preparing themselves for a competitive job market.” I know students use the Internet a lot, but I was suprised that they are actually using it to enrich their knowledge and get a head of the game in the job market. It shows that students are willing to do the work and learn something if they think it will benefit their future.

I was shocked to see how early students begin using the Internet and the computer. According to page 28 of the book, preschool children are the fastest growing population of Internet users.  It has increases from 6% to 35%. 35% may not seem like a lot, but considering these children are ages 2-5 some do not even know how to read at that point.  We have to be prepared for having some students who have never used the Internet as well as some students that have been using computers from an early age.

I also found figure 2.1 very interesting. It shows Bloom’s traditional taxonomy and a new version of the taxonomy. The original states knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation where as the new version is remembering, understanding, applying, analyzing, evaluating, and creating. This shows that teachers must think differently on how they teach students as well as evaluate them.

8 thoughts on “Chapter 2

1. Derek Davis Said:

on September 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm   Reply

The internet does open up the world for students. If they are interested in a particular subject they can become experts before they graduate high school with the information that is available at their fingertips. I know that I use the Internet to research topics that are of interest to me and I can honestly say that I have learned just as much from my own research than I have sitting in school for over 18 years.

It is rather scary that young pre-school children are the fastest growing demographic of Internet use. I don’t know if this is a good thing or not but it is a change that we need to be aware of. Students in several years will be so accustomed to using the computer and Internet that they will not even have to think about most of the things that challenge us today.

The reason for the new Bloom’s taxonomy is because it is no longer about how much a person knows and how they learn that information. Rather, it has shifted to if you know how to access that information and the approaches the student takes to do this. Teachers need to be aware of this new taxonomy and try to incorporate those skills and levels into their classroom and assessments.

2. mdonald Said:

on September 11, 2010 at 9:48 am   Reply

Janet, I could not agree with you more regarding Bloom’s Taxonomy. We as future educators must be aware of how students are learning and changing knowledge to remembering is a big indicator that students want to be challenged, not just memorize, spit out for a test, and forget the information.

3. lininga Said:

on September 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm   Reply

You make a very valid point for teachers to be aware of: we must be prepared for those students who know a little about the internet and those students that have used it since an early age. There will be such a wide range of what students know about the internet and do not know about the internet and it is important for us to fill that gap. I also think the changes in Bloom’s Taxonomy are very important to remember while teaching our students. How and what they want to learn is changing and we have to be aware of this.

4. ryancw Said:

on September 13, 2010 at 10:12 am   Reply

Janet,

I also took away from this specific chapter how vital it is to understand your students. The revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy is an excellent perspective on how students are changing in this 21century. By understanding the changing needs of your students, it will allow for you to challenge them and practice necessary workplace skills.

5. ctusing Said:

on September 13, 2010 at 12:35 pm   Reply

Janet, I also was stunned by the increase of young kids learning how to use the internet. To think that two year olds have already adapted the new skills, who is to say where the technology courses will be in years to come in the classroom.

6. annef Said:

on September 13, 2010 at 8:12 pm   Reply

I was not surprised at all by the preschool age children using the Internet. I taught my nephew who is 4 how to use YouTube to watch his favorite thing, Fire Trucks. Now he can open the web browser, find the favorites link, and enjoy. He also can play on websites such as Nickelodeon and Disney games by himself.

However, I think starting children this early can have a negative side effect by limiting the urge to play outside and be active. Technology is such an amazing thing, but as children become more visualy stimulated they become less interested in non technology related activities.

7. Rose Kuceyeski Said:

on September 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm   Reply

Looks like the commenters have said it all. Skype is great, but it is synchronous. Many students don’t want this, and time zones can be an issue. As a instructor, you would have to Skype at various times to provide all students the opportunity.