Sebo Center

Friday, October 15th, 2010 | Assignments for TLEP 4830

My first impression of the Sebo Center was that I was very impressed by both its size and what it holds within in it. As one of the newer facilities on campus I think it is nice to see a modern, high tech building such as this one. I like that in the majority of areas, whether you are walking or in an office, the view is of the football field. I was especially impressed with their lock and key system. The fact that you can just deactivate a key, I feel, is a great feature to have in a building. I have worked for organizations where key access was necessary and there was always a problem of the keys getting lost, stolen and so on. Considering the stadium is not very well secured, I am happy to hear that areas within their building are.

When it comes to meeting the needs of BGSU sports players I definitely think it is a great advantage for football players and other sports players. They have a much more up to date training facility, they have a large rehab area complete with swimming pools, and they even put in a long lasting turf field. Of all of the amenities offered I am really glad to see that all sports players, in any season, are able to use the newer and nicer work out facility. This means they are getting better equipment and less of a crowd than there is at the student recreation center. The only disadvantage to the facility is that it seems sports players need to be there often and it is pretty far away compared to the rest of campus. While we were at the Sebo Center, we saw swimmers rushing in who had clearly just gotten out of the pool. As a swimmer I would find it annoying that I had to work out in the pool and then walk, bike or drive all the way to the Sebo center just to run or workout again.

Another aspect of the facility I wish was different has to deal with the field itself. Since it is a new turf field I wish it was capable of holding soccer games as well. As I past soccer player myself, I did enjoy using turf fields and feel people are more likely to come to the game when it is in a nice facility. I also think it would have been beneficial to BGSU to use the field dually because it could have saved them money from having to continuously maintain the current soccer field. Over all I think the facility is beneficial to the BGSU sports teams because it offers high tech innovations to prepare them for games and get them physically fit, even if injured.

I have compared the BGSU stadium to that of the Cleveland Browns Stadium.  What really caught my eye about the Browns Stadium is that it is used for way more than just the football games. The stadium can be used for soccer games, concerts, American Idol auditions, and football games for other schools. By being such versatile space it greatly increases the stadiums revenue and also gets the Cleveland Browns name out into the public. People who come from different cities or states to attend an audition or concert may not have had any idea that the stadium existed or noticed what Cleveland has to offer. This inadvertently creates revenue for both local hotels and businesses. As for the Cleveland Browns training facility I feel one disadvantage is that it is not located at the Browns Stadium, it is located in Berea, Ohio. One advantage of this training facility is that it has turf fields that are able to be used year round for training. I think if BGSU had an indoor turf field for its sports players, it would put our teams at an advantage when it comes to training and conditioning.

One thought on “Sebo Center

1. lona
    6:08 pm - 10-19-2010

Some other students have also referenced the Cleveland Brown’s stadium and training facility….BGSU has come a long way, but WOW!