October 2011

I chose to attend the speech by Colin Beavan for my common reading experience. I was skeptical at first because I was not sure how he would be in person compared to his personality in the book. However, I was impressed with his speech. I liked that he didn’t focus his entire speech around the […]

I was able to participate in the common reading experience celebration by going to see author Colin Beavan speak. It was nice to hear an author who was a very good at public speaking because I have listened to others and they didn’t speak very well. I thought it was very interesting that he decided not […]

The dove commercial really struck home for me. It bothers me that people only think beauty is fake and full of makeup. I wish that I never started to wear makeup because now people expect a higher standard from me when I want to just be natural. People expect beauty to be full of makeup […]

Watching these videos and listening to the pod cast is basically what I was writing about in my second essay! I wish that I could have used that radio interview to support my paper because I knew that the media and advertisers do those things to get you hooked on the product. It is a very scary […]

In the podcast she went into depth about what we as consumers, and people in general, do  with and without thinking. She was taught by her mother that she should not cave into advertising and what they are trying to sell. This went along with the video we watched about Dove. We see the ads […]

The video and podcast made me realize that the media makes people look unreal and not real.  The podcast showed how easily people can be manipulated by what the media says.

I thought the advertisment by Dove was pretty alarming. I knew the models for ads had to be pretty from the start, but I thought after all the makeup and hair that would be enough. I never knew that they touched up the faces on the computer so much to make it barely resemble the […]

I thought the videos were very interesting. It saddens me to see how the media portrays beauty to our society, and how unreal it actually is. The children in society, girls and boys, need a better, uplifting image to grow up with. It is also strange to think about how our minds make subconscious connections […]

after watching the youtube videos I think it is crazy how the perception of somebody could be almost a lie. that thats not even that actual person. I know that people want to be like certain people they see but if the perception of that person isn’t themselves then it is all just a lie.

I knew advertising had an effect on our brains. One thing I always think is interesting is how bad advertisements work. Sometimes the advertisements that annoy you the most are the best because you have the most emotional connection with them. I think that like the girl said on NPR it is your own decision […]

i thought the first video was extremely eye opening.  I knew that the photos were touched up but i didnt think the changes were so dramatic.  The second video hilarious.  Specially after watching the first one so you knew what it was about.

I think the podcast was scary to me because it shows how easy everyone can be manipulated by the media and higher powers. Even if you’re not paying attention you’re brain still picks up the message which is the scariest part. Its also crazy how girls can be manipulated by beauty ads so easily. Its […]

The media portrays the way; us as humans see the image of people. Most magazines with models in them are not real. Hours upon hours spent changing the way a person looks in photoshop is what many companies have been doing to sell their products. These editors change so much of the natural look and […]

While watching the video from dove I was reminded about how much touch ups were done to make advertisements. Coming from a girl who has dealt with a lot of self esteem issue, I think this is a very important issue. This video would be a great thing for girls all over to see and […]

I thought that the first video shocked me, to see how fake people really are. The girls on the ads look so amazing, and most girls want to be like them but thats impossible because they are FAKE!!!!! Then the podcast to be honest bored me, without video I can’t stay entertained.

It was really interesting to me to see how much the models bodies in advertisements are altered to make us think they are something that they aren’t. It’s weird how little something can be but how much it takes to make it. Many products are sold today by the image that is portrayed which is usually a nice looking […]

I was pretty freaked out by the first dove commercial. I have always been aware that models are sometimes pretty processed. That was just ridiculous. I can’t imagine what people must think if that is what true beauty is.

Its strange to think about how these ads we watch everyday affect us, ive never really watched an ad and decided from that ad to buy the product but it makes me wonder how it changes my perspective on other things.

I watched the No Impact Man documentary. I enjoyed it, because it gave you a better idea of who Collin Beavan was. In my opinion, I think after reading a book, if there is a movie, you should see the movie. It will give you a better understanding of the book. It made me understand […]

I went to the union to pick up trash, then went to Ols Camp and I noticed that no one really recycles. Even when the resources are right there for them, people abuse them. I also noticed that the plastic recycling bins are right beside the trash cans, and people are still throwing their plastic […]

Next Page »