Feed on
Posts
Comments

Read “”Working at McDonald’s” on pp. 283-286 SMG, and answer the following prompts. This work is due by 9:00 pm 9/24.

1. After reading “Working at McDonald’s” write a short response (100-200 words) to the following prompt: What do you see as Etzioni’s strongest argument in the essay?  Did any of the points he makes surprise you? Why? Please cite when you use the author’s words.

2. Comment on the writing of the essay, giving  2-3  positive and 1-2 negative comments. Be specific. When you use words or examples from the text, make it clear from which paragraphs you get them.

3. Who are the possible audiences of the essay? What’s the purpose? How does the audicne and purpose affect the the style of the essay?

16 thoughts on “Questions on “Working at McDonald’s”

1. petrowr
    2:52 pm - 9-23-2009

Remington Petrow

1) Etzioni’s strongest argument, in my opinion, was the fact that the low paying, menial jobs he described instilled the wrong values in todays youth. Based on my experience with jobs such as those I was surprised to see him treat them so negatively. I found work like that to be an excellent revenue source when I was a kid and didn’t feel overburdened or abused by the ‘system’. However, he does have a point with work disrupting school. But taking up a job only during the summer counteracts this.

2) Positive aspects of the writing:
    Posed thought provoking questions
    Used excellent examples
    Explained his points
    Negative aspects of the writing:
    Not alot of source material
    somewhat open ended

3) Possible audiences of this writing are teenagers, parents and McDonalds or something.
    The purpose is to inform the reader. This causes the essay to be more direct and biased.

2. Kathryn Grilliot
    2:11 am - 9-24-2009

1. After reading “Working at McDonald’s” write a short response (100-200 words) to the following prompt: I believe that Etzioni’s strongest argument on this topic would have to be the argument that fast food jobs are highly noneducational and don’t hold much purpose whatsoever besides the fact that it sets up our youth to work in factory jobs. Many of the points that he made did surprise me. The one that surprised me the most was when he said, “They provide no career ladders, few marketable skills, and undermine school attendance and involvement.” (Etzioni pp. 285 paragraph 1) I thought that this is such a strong statement to make because he is pretty much telling the reader that he believes that fast food jobs provide nothing for our teens. He is saying that fast food jobs are a huge waste of time and provide no type of learning qualities whatsoever. I found this surprising because I believe that no matter what the job is, it still will provide the worker with some type of learning experience.

2. Positive things that the author did was he provided some very good points and another positive thing was he seemed to have a good idea of what he was arguing and how to present his arguments in an organized way. A negative thing that I thought that the author did was he didn’t provide the other side’s issue enough in the article.

3. I thought that the audience of this essay would have to be the teenagers who work there or who are thinking of working there. I also thought that it was gearing a lot to the parents of the children. The purpose of this essay is to inform the audience of why they shouldn’t work there or why they shouldn’t let their kids work there. It tends to make the whole essay more bias in terms of style because of the audience and purpose of the essay.

3. Ali Recker
    12:01 pm - 9-24-2009

1. I agree with Remington on what Etzioni’s strongest agrument was. Though I very much disagree on his idea that low paying menial jobs gives todays youth incorrect values. When I was a sophmore in High School I worked at the local McDonald’s in town felt that it was an excellent learning experience. At my time there I never feel behind in my school work and maintained a 3.5 GPA as well as participateing in sports, dance and religion classes.

2. postive aspects:
    1. presented good points
    2. very well organized
    negative aspects:
    1. seemed very one-sided
    2. few sources

2. The sudience of this essay is aimed more at teeneagers who are looking for part time employment.
    The purpose of this essay is to inform the reader. The purpose tends to make the essay more biased torwards the authors viewpoint.

4. Ashley Lindrose
    2:01 pm - 9-24-2009

1. Etzioni’s strongest arguement in this essay is when he made the point “58 percent of seniors ackowledged that their jobs interfere with their school work” (Etzioni 285 par. 13). There were a lot of statistics in the essay that I never knew. For example, the percentages of the how many teens work certain hours per week. I never realized how many hours teens are putting in plus being a full time student.

2. Positive:
    a. good introduction
    b. good organization
    Negative:
    a. Etzioni could have used more sources

3. I think the audience for this essay is parents who are pressuring their kids to get jobs. By reading this essay they might rethink their decision. They still may want their child to get a job, just one that has less hours and maybe one that will be beneficial to them in the future.

5. Allegra Lane
    2:46 pm - 9-24-2009

1. I think that Etzioni’s strongest argument in this essay is that part-time jobs for younger people tend to do more bad than good. To be honest, I really was not all that surprised by the points that he made. I never worked at McDonalds or any other fast food places, but I knew many people that did. My friends would always come to class and sleep because they had to close up the previous night. I also knew two people that dropped out of school because they never had time to do their homework because of their job.

2. Positive:
    Good explanations
    Good structure
    Negative:
    Did not really explain other side of the story

3. The audience may be teens or the parents of teens that are or may soon be working at a McDonalds. The purpose is to inform the audience of the downside of working at one of these locations. The purpose of the essay makes it biased because it is mostly the opinion of the author.

6. Valerie Cmolik
    6:36 pm - 9-24-2009

Valerie Cmolik
    1. Etzioni’s strongest argument is that employees of Mcdonald’s are learning no skills while at work. He refers to them as robots working at an assembly line instead of aquiring new techniques for the future tomorrow. “There is no room for initiative, creativity, or even elementary rearrangements. Also there are proven statistics that state teenagers who work at fast-food restaurants are more likely to drop out of high school and work and low income jobs for the rest of their lives. Etzioni also brings up how long hours for teenagers will indeed affect their school work. 1/3 of employees between the ages of 14 and 17 work over 30 hours a week, so how could these long hours not affect their school work. Majority of what Etzioni brought up did not surprise me. The only point that did was how many teenagers work 30 plus hours a week.

2. Positive aspects:

1. provided plenty of good points
    2. well organized

negative:
    1. only explained one side

3. The audience of this article is teenagers who work at Mcdonalds or any other fast food restuarant. It could also be for parents who’s kids are working at these restuarants. The purpose is to explain the negative aspects of working at fast food joints. The style of this article is very biased and would make people not want to work at these kind of environments.

7. Jazzmin Hill
    7:17 pm - 9-24-2009

I agree with Allegra I feel that Etzoni’s strongest point was that part time jobs are more bad for younger people than good. Etzoni states that McDonald doesnt serve to help anyone gain any self discipline, self supervision, and self scheduling skills. I have never worked at a fast food restaurant because I hate the smell that fast food places leave on you. I have had class mates that have worked at McDonalds though and they have absolutly hated it. They would always have to stay at work over time on the weekend and they didnt have school, but its still the principle that their weekend is being taken up and they are a full time student so they are in school monday through friday and then work on saturday and sunday. Some of my classmates also had to work during the school week and this had to be hard also because senior year we had a lot of work that was due everyday. Some of them had to work because alot of our senior finances was all up to them because of their parents not helping them. So for these students they had full time school and full time work. This work was also stressful for them because even though they were working alot they werent always getting the pay that they always deserved.

2. Positive: Great points
    Great Organization
    Negative: was kind of biased in my opinion kind of just picked one side and stuck with it

4. The audience for this essay is students who are considering working at McDonalds or parents that are considering allowing their children to work at McDonalds while in high school

8. Stephen Pikus
    7:33 pm - 9-24-2009

1.
    Etzioni’s strongest argument in this article was that part time jobs for teens dose more damage then good. Teens who have jobs at places like McDonalds tend to have grades that slack and fall asleep in class. McDonalds crew members tend to have to stay over time and work extra long hours during the school week, and have to work hours that a illegal at their age.

2
    positive- well organized, good observations.
    Negative- Did not explain the other side.

3.
    The audience of the article is teenagers and parents of teenagers who work at McDonalds or other fast food chain restaurants. The purpose of it was to explain what goes on at fast food restaurants.

9. Kristen Gyorgak
    11:31 pm - 9-24-2009

1) I agree with Remington on what his strongest argument was. However, i don’t agree at all that part-time jobs are bad for youth. I’ve had a job since I was 15, part-time in the school yeasr and full time in the summer. If anything a job has made me learn to to time manage and be responsible. Sometimes you have to earn things for yourself, and a part0time job can help teach good money management.

2) The organization and points were both strong points of the essay. I wish he would have stated the other sides points and then refuted them instead of ignoring them all together.

3) The audience is teenagers. I think even though he specifically talks about McDonald’s, it could be teenagers working at any fast food resturant or that have a part time job.

10. Nathan Posey
    1:15 pm - 9-27-2009

1. I agree with Stephen, on how part time work does no good to teens. Workers at McDonalds seem to stay at work longer than expected and that will reflect on there schooling. Kids will have to manage their time according to work, but if they always have to stay over time they will have to do school work when they can find time and then they will probably be asleep.
    2. He was well organized and stated very good points.
    He didnt explain the other side very well
    3. The audience it teenagers. It shows what really goes on at McDonalds.

11. Colts Neck NJ Birthday Party Puppet Show
    1:06 am - 1-5-2011

I have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up

12. Melaine Haper
    11:20 pm - 1-7-2011

Awesome work! Keep posting good material.

13. 24 Fitness
    4:02 am - 5-28-2011

Halo Admin

Recently I came accross on Google by typing 24 Fitness and I found your website, this is really interesting website and I got really usefull information related about Fitness from you..

Thank u so much Admin.. ^_^

14. Toronto Website Developer
    11:00 am - 7-2-2011

I think you have a great page here… today was my first time coming here.. I just happened to find it doing a google search. anyway, good post..
    I’ll be bookmarking this page for sure.

15. ชุดนอนซีทรู
    10:28 am - 8-16-2011

Thank you very much for your sharing. If I have any question in the future, please kindly give me suggestion.

16. Wordpress Plugins|http://www.ebook-123.com/Scripte-und-Software/FB-Viral-Warrior-Wordpress-Social-Media-Plugin::85.html#FB Viral Warrior Social Media Plugin|http://www.ebook-123.com#Ebook Online Shop|http://www.ebook-123.com/Silent-Subliminals:::13.html#S
    2:46 am - 3-1-2012

I am really impressed together with your writing abilities and also with the layout in your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it your self? Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to peer a great weblog like this one nowadays..
    In the analyze made by way of subliminal investigator Vaghn Kaser and later on publicized inside the Log associated with Worried & Mind Condition learned that even though you may are usually resting this emails say hello to the mental faculties and they are kept in mind about arising: “A subliminal information is definitely seen for the unconscious mind degree which is designed to change your mind-set. You cannot find any work to vary. You simply hear this subliminal messages taking. You may alter almost any tendencies or attract riches to you. It’s that straightforward.In .

When it comes to creating a crowd as well as getting visitors, blog writers are usually checking out social websites using history success. In lieu of relying on search engines or (gasp) IRL buddies, successful writers recognize plants establish a following in important social support systems in an effort to showcase his or her models and inevitably find more mouse clicks.

Youtube, Fb, StumbleUpon and now Pinterest supply the savvy doodlekit with lots of the possiblility to entice innovative viewers in addition to build relationships with regulars, but it really can be tremendous in the event that you