Global Feminism

Home | Syria »

I believe I’m in charge around here.

We’ve all seen the girl effect. Teen Mom. The New Girl. *&#$ Girls Say.   Us girls are everywhere. No really. We’re all over the world.

Now most of this new focus on “girls” isn’t actually on girls. It’s on women. Specifically 18-23 year old women. Women who have access to opportunity and education.  We can get jobs. We can get a degree. Or not. We can enter the workforce or not. We can start our own business.   Choice is ours. Well here in the first world anyway.

We can do whatever we want.

But.

That doesn’t mean we’ll be successful. In fact, say we chose to start our own business, be our own boss. According to Forbes, my profits will max out at around $50K . If I chose to run for president, I’ll probably lose because as a woman I’m not seen as competent to lead this great nation, this global powerhouse.

So what’s a girl to do?   Help other girls. By putting them in charge.

Nike and the Girl Scouts of America have both started international campaigns to bolster girls leadership abilities and create outreach programs to bring educational opportunities to girls in poverty stricken areas. Norway, Sweden, Indonesia, Nepal, Mexico and the UK all have quotas on female membership in Parliament.

These countries and campaigns can help boost women into a leadership position and allow for greater visibility of women’s issues. They give a stronger voice to women by giving women a stronger voice in government.  By putting girls in charge we  bring women power to change and be in charge of  their own lives.