1

Emily's Blog for Journ. 4950

Creeping or Cautious?

As a society, where do we draw the line between employers creeping or taking precaution, when it comes to social media? Is it an invasion of privacy, or just a wise way to “weed out” liability risks within a corporation? Some would say it’s an excellent way to learn about a potential employee and find […]

As a society, where do we draw the line between employers creeping or taking precaution, when it comes to social media? Is it an invasion of privacy, or just a wise way to “weed out” liability risks within a corporation? Some would say it’s an excellent way to learn about a potential employee and find out what they do outside of the work place. Although I feel that social media is a representation of ones’ self, I also feel that what one person chooses to do in their free time, is not necessarily an accurate picture of ones’ work ethic. Being a 22 year old college student on the verge of graduation, I have filtered what I do and do not post on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I view Facebook and Twitter as a sort of “online resume”, if you will. If I were interviewing a potential employee and decided to “creep” on their Facebook and found evidence that they live a lifestyle that would not represent my company in a positive light, then I would use that as a deciding factor not to hire that individual. After all, the key to running a successful business is to insure that your business is always viewed in the most positive light (Public Relations tactic).

So if “creeping” on new hire’s Facebook/Twitter is deemed acceptable, what’s the harm in demanding passwords for social media?

This is where I have an issue regarding privacy. It is one thing to view the “outside” of ones’ social media pages, and taking from it what one chooses. But to demand a password in order to see messages ect, is crossing this fine line. In my opinion, unless you’re interviewing for a position in NASA, secret service, military, or running for a political office… it really is no ones’ business who you message, or your browsing history. What’s next? … asking for a key to their apartment?… I suppose that gives a whole new perspective to “big brother is always watching”.

11 thoughts on “Creeping or Cautious?

Mr WordPress  June 28, 2011  10:40 pm  1

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in and view the post's comments. There you will have the option to edit or delete them.

pr check url list  March 03, 2013  8:47 pm  2

I got this web site from my pal who informed me on the topic of this website and at the
    moment this time I am browsing this web site
    and reading very informative articles here.