Question About the Readings
Friday January 23rd 2009, 11:53 am
Filed under: Uncategorized

When I was reading “What is CC,” I noticed that it gave an option for people who wanted to opt out of the copyright all together. My question is why would someone not want to copyright their own work?

2 thoughts on “Question About the Readings

Danielle,
    That’s a great questions. I think it will be interesting to bring this question up in class today and see what your classmates have to say about this.

Though I can’t answer this question definitely, I will say that there are cultural differences towards “ownership” which may be a reason some people don’t want to copyright their work. It’s also possible that people like the idea of sharing and letting others use the work they’ve done (i.e., photographs they’ve taken, codes they’ve written for websites or programs, etc.).

I’m not sure we’ll get to all the questions today that people raised, but this is a question that might be worth coming back to this semester as we move forward. To complicate this a bit more, here is a question I have for you to consider that plays off of your question:
    Why would someone want to copyright their own work?

-Brittany

bcottri on 01.26.09 @ 7:57 am    

I thought your question was interesting. I’ve often wondered why someone who has created something would not want to copyright their work. Although I agree that people like to share, I also know that sharing can be stealing when someone poses another person’s work as their own. I feel that bypassing copyrighting can lead to more problems that could be otherwise avoided altogether.

alanaj on 01.26.09 @ 11:03 am