On-Campus Crime and the Alert System

Bowling Green State University Logo

Students at Bowling Green State University have spoken up about “on-campus crime.”

Friday, Oct.  14, 2011, an act of sexual assault took place on BGSU’s campus in the Conklin housing unit. This information had been released days later by campus police via email, subject title: “Crime Alert.”

When the community of BGSU is notified about a crime that has taken place, delayed alerts are received to allow investigation for the alleged attack(s).

“The Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act, which was passed in 1990 in response to a steady rise in violent crime reported on college campuses, encourages the development of security policies and procedures at all colleges and universities participating in federal student aid programs–including policies and procedures to address sexual assaults and to introduce uniformity in reporting campus crime statistics to students, parents, and employees,” according to GAO, the author of Campus Crimes: Difficulties Meeting Federal Reporting Requirements.

Students have expressed their feelings about the notification system.

“I am unfamiliar with the campus alert system. I believe notifications should be more prevalent around campus and advertised more than just in a brief email,” said Latierra Edwards, 20, public relations journalism major, from Cleveland.  “However, I don’t think the alerts are delayed.”

Although Edwards think the alerts need to be advertised more, other students feel more content.

“I feel comfortable around campus. I don’t really hear anything about crimes other than the emails I receive,” said Jaime Steele, 20, special education major, from Toledo. “I do believe they are delayed because I don’t get them right away.”

Students have further described the assaults to be an act that’s mostly taken place while under the influence.

“I feel like they most often occur on the weekend when this is alcohol involved,” said Kara Campbell, 20, broadcast journalism major, from Oberlin, Ohio. “I think the alert system is fine and I always feel informed.”

Edwards agreed with the opinion of other students.

“I feel that sexual assaults often occur when the alleged attacker or victim is under the influence of alcohol.”

Although the alert systems are used to keep the community informed, there are some residents that feel they need to take extra precaution.

“There should be more emergency buttons around campus,” said Ashanti Johnson, 19, accounting major, from Akron. “I do think the alerts are delayed by the time we hear about the assault. BG police do a fair job of informing us, however when I do hear about campus attacks it freaks me out. I start to feel extremely unsafe sometimes.”

When made aware of the assault incidents, some students are indifferent about the alleged crimes.

“I feel that a lot of the times it’s over exaggerated,” said Marlin Hunter, 20, human development and family studies major, from Detroit. “I definitely feel safe and comfortable with the alert system. I think BG police do a good job informing the community. ”

This entry was posted in attacks, BGSU, crime, Crime Alerts, Investigation, Reporting. Bookmark the permalink.