This I Believe

Similarities within “This I Believe”

• Stories
  • Life-changing events
  • Situations in stories

This I believe is a book that has all kinds of different essays in it. All of the essays explain a certain person’s belief and how they came upon that belief. An repeating similarity in all of the essays are the stories within the essays. Each of the stories tells of an event that the author had to go through and usually is life changing. In one essay titled: “The Art of Being a Neighbor”, the author was taken out of her comfort zone, which was the city, due to her loss of a job and was then forced to start over in a new town (in the middle of no-where). She survived thanks to the hospitality of her new neighbors. She learned through this experience of how much it matters to be a good neighbor.

Another similarity throughout the essays is the types of situations within each essay. Most of the situations in the stories are ones that are not favorable. Usually it takes a horrible situation for a person to find what his/her true beliefs are. In the essay “In Giving I Connect with Others”, the author’s daughter was very sick and ended up passing away. The author then realized that “you only have what you give”. She not believes that the only way to live a full life is giving to others.

“This I Believe” is a great book and honestly an easy read. I would recommend this book to everyone, especially those who want another outlook on life.