Reader Response 9/14/09

Part 1:

After watching the video clips I learned that there is a difference between arguing and contradicting and I also learned the different reactions when listening to someone who is stating their point of view of an argument. I never really thought about the difference between contradiction and arguing until I watched one of the clips so I now realize that you have to be careful not to contradict yourself when trying to get your point of view across. It’s also important to let the opposing side get there opinions across in order to have a good argument because if you don’t let them then it is not really an argument its just one side stating there opinion. When arguing it is not acceptable to dismiss what the opposing side is saying. It is better to take what they are saying in consideration rather than ignore their opinion. When watching the clips I noticed how there are different reactions to people who are stating their opinions. There are right ways and wrong ways to reacting to an opinion.  I think the right way is to just kindly agree with them depending on the place and the wrong way is to disrespectfully disagree and interrupt them when they are still speaking.   

Part 2:

Types of supports used:

• Opinions clearly stated.
  • Examples
  • Counter-Arguments
  • Opposing Sides
  • Supporting sources/ Evidence

It is good to use different types of supports to help get your opinion or argument across. Using different kinds of support will help your audience understand what you are saying or how you feel on a particular issue. Having examples from different sources will also help to prove your creditability of what your argument is which in turn can help in your attempt to persuade the other person of what you are saying. The different types of support are effective because it helps to bring different points of view to an issue together in a non controversial way. It also helps people to express there opinions without any judging involved from the opposing sides. I think supporting evidence is needed mostly when arguments are about controversial issues such as politics or something of that nature that require people to have strong feelings about them. I also think that we need different types of support for arguments to help distinguish the right and wrong way of arguing.  Having support will help both sides of an argument be said instead of having people yelling over each other and neither sides get out their opinions.

One thought on “Reader Response 9/14/09

1. bcottri
    5:19 pm - 9-20-2009

Nice job, Ciarra.