Dusko Topolic

Capital Planning

February11

Being a capital planner and building designer is a very respectful but also responsible job, especially if you work for a University. From the presentation I learned many things, following are some of the most important ones.  Recognition: After the project is done, they are the ones that are going to be recognized which is a great reward after all the work they put in. We can say that they put their personal stamp on the building forever. Paycheck: They are getting paid a good salary for what they do, which could also be considered as a reward. Career Development: Reward being at the position that they are right now and participating in big projects helps them to develop their careers.

Some of the challenges that Mr. Waddle and his colleges face on their job are: Responsibility: From the presentation that Mr. Waddle and his colleges gave to our class it was obvious that their job is highly responsible. Being responsible for taking over a project like Wolf center is something that keeps them concentrated and working hard to accomplish all the goals set at the beginning. Communication: From their presentation I learned that they have to communicate with a lot of different people and that can be a big challenge sometimes. Also one more thing that I got out of the presentation is that funding and budgeting are crucial for every project you do on this job. Mr. Waddle talked about the difference between two projects, Wolf center and Stroh center where one of them (Wolf Center) is funded by the state which makes it much more complicated and harder for them to deal with.

The other part of this reflection is about our University’s  progress in capital planning and also how it is compared to other educational institutions throughout the country. Bowling Green has started couple of big projects in order to shake up a little bit and attract new students. There are three major projects that are under construction which are – Wolf Center, Stroh Center and new dorms that are built on campus. These new buildings will give a new, better and improved look to Bowling Green State University’s campus and we all hope that the money spent (around $70 million for Stroh and Wolf Center only) will be worth it.

The first article that I found is about Buffalo State University and its capital planning projects on campus. According to the article, Buffalo State University’s capital projects will result in nearly $350 million spent for new projects and renovations. Major projects are: new student housing, student union quad, science and mathematics complex and technology building. Comparing these projects to Bowling Green we can say that they are investing more funds into their projects.  The link for the article is provided bellow.

http://wwwu.buffalostate.edu/tour/construction/

One more interesting article that I found and that I think is similar to our university is about Duquesne University building a new residence hall on campus. Their reason is also growing on-campus housing needs. Also as Mr. Waddle was talking about the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), Duquesne University new building will be constructed to earn this type of certificate. The link for the article: http://newsroom.duq.edu/2010/03/10/new-residence-hall/

by posted under TLEP 4830 | 2 Comments »

2 thoughts on “Capital Planning

1. September 4th, 2019 at 9:02 am       Acquista il visto per l'inglese Says:

Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

2. September 6th, 2019 at 8:04 pm       ETIAS Visa Says:

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment
    (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say,
    I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring
    blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any tips and hints for first-time blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.