Spotlight on RecWell Staff – SRC Familiar Face Sara Scacchi

Sara Scacchi Portrait
 Navigating college can be a daunting task, especially for first-generation students; finding employment, joining organizations, and figuring out post-grad plans require time, energy, and resources, but alum Sara Scacchi (’17) was up for the challenge. During her first year at BGSU, Sara joined Delta Sigma Pi, the professional business fraternity on campus, and was a finalist in The Hatch, an annual campus-wide competition where 12 students pitch business plans to a panel of investors in front of a live audience and thousands of online viewers. These involvements shaped Sara’s BGSU experience, helping plan her future and join the department of Recreation and Wellness.

Taking part in the ten-week business-heavy mentoring program opened Sara’s eyes for a love of business and marketing (READ MORE).When she got involved with the College of Business, something clicked: “I kind of fell in love with business. I’m a people person, and if I could get paid to talk to people all day, help solve their problems, and provide them with something that would better their life, then that’s what I want to do.”

Joining the professional business fraternity also had more to offer than Sara expected: friendships, leadership roles, and a job at the Student Recreation Center. “When I joined Delta Sigma Pi, I immediately became friends with [2017 alum and RecWell employee] Hannah Adams… she encouraged me to apply, and I was lucky enough to go through interviews, and I got a job, and I’ve been able to work with her ever since, so that’s been pretty cool.”

Working as a Customer Service Associate (CSA) has aligned handsomely with Sara’s skills and aspirations; she is going into sales, so her day-to-day duties are directly related to her post-grad work. She feels prepared for the future because being a CSA included frequent face-to-face customer interactions, product and service offering explanations, and problem-solving. She has come to understand the value of a learning curve. It reassures me. It has definitely prepared me for the next step in my life. It’s been nice having the right stepping stone to get there.

Sara is beginning her professional career as a sales representative at a Professional Employer Organization in Richfield, Ohio, called Group Management Services; there, Sara will help out small businesses, meet face-to-face with clients, and problem-solve just like she did at the Rec. She is toying with the idea of being a professor someday, and is very thankful for her experiences at BGSU. “This job has been really, really rewarding because you get to see yourself progress. I remember my first shift. I didn’t know nearly anything about the Student Rec Center…and now I’m the one that’s teaching and helping the new people.

Read more RecWell Spotlights