The Toledo Business Journal is seeking an unpaid intern for the Summer, and for the Fall 2017 semester, to assist with producing our monthly newspaper. Most work involves transcribing telephone interviews into a typewritten document, but other tasks may include retouching photos using Photoshop, preparing real estate reports, and searching for press releases. Interns will also be asked to prepare a business news story using internet research that may be published in the newspaper with their byline.
Candidates should be able to come into our office, located at 5660 Southwyck Blvd., for two hours twice a week. This schedule is extremely flexible to accommodate classes and other activities, but it is a good opportunity to gain professional experience.
Interested students should send a resume and writing samples to email@example.com, or call 419-865-0972, ex. 21, for more information. We will then conduct a job interview at our office.
Posted in Internships March 3, 2017
The Victory Center is a non-profit cancer wellness center in Toledo. We provide free programs and services for cancer patients, survivors and family members, such as yoga, massage, reflexology, counseling, support groups, nutrition classes, art therapy and much more.
We have a special, brand-new fundraising event that is going to take place in September 2017 and are looking for help with some of the public relations and writing components to help make it successful. Specifically, our intern will help develop a newsletter for event participants, write much of the content, produce email communications regarding the event, and develop a social media marketing strategy, among other assignments.
Hours will range from 10-15 hours per week, with a total of at least 120 hours between May 15 and August 7. Flexible schedule available.
Please apply with a resume or letter expressing your interest to:
Dianne Barndt, Executive Director
Application deadline: March 24, 2017 at 3 pm
Posted in Internships ,Study and Learn February 23, 2017
KAWE/KAWB is searching for a talented Multimedia journalist who can shoot, write, edit and produce compelling stories on a daily basis. This is an entry-level position at a station recently nominated for an Upper Midwest Emmy for station excellence.
We are located in beautiful north-central Minnesota and we have a long history of developing quality reporters and anchors. This position is responsible for a little of everything (hard news, spot news, feature reporting, government stories, civic stories and more.) I need someone who is excited to tell stories that matter to our audience. I am looking for a strong journalist who can find stories and handle big stories.
This position is based out of our bureau office in Brainerd, MN. You must be able to shoot, edit, and write your own stories. Hands-on internship experience is a plus. Total compensation package is $24,200 including benefits. One-year contract.
If interested, send link to demo reel, cover letter, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Dennis Weimann, News Director, 108 Grant Avenue NE, Bemidji, Minnesota, 56601. Phone number (218) 333-3050.
Posted in Jobs ,Paid ,Study and Learn February 21, 2017
Are you an English major (or a major in another discipline) who is interested in an internship that puts your critical thinking and writing skills to good use? Do you want to learn more about coordinating interdisciplinary activities for campus and community audiences?
The Institute for the Study of Culture & Society supports faculty collaboration across traditional disciplinary boundaries, and serves as an incubator for innovative research and teaching. ICS supports the academic goals of the University by helping faculty to develop, communicate, and disseminate their scholarly and creative work to constituencies across campus and throughout the region. With our public events and outreach efforts, we bring issues of vital national and global importance to Northwest Ohio, and, in turn, bring community knowledge back into the university.
Interns at ICS work approximately 10 hours a week in the ICS offices, planning ICS Fellows talks, workshops, the Spring Speaker Series, and other high-impact events. ICS Intern tasks and responsibilities may also include:
- Drafting text for emails, press releases, invitation letters, posters, and other essential documents
- Planning, scheduling, and publicizing events, including the Spring Speaker Series and Scholars- and Artists-in-Residence Fellowship lectures
- Updating the ICS website and social media accounts
- Coordinating schedules among various constituents across campus
- Creating itineraries for visiting speakers
- Reserving rooms and preparing for events across and off-campus
- Scheduling meetings with ICS Fellows, interdisciplinary research clusters, and ICS Executive Board members
- Collecting and organizing ICS Fellowship applications and Executive Board nominations
- Archiving ICS documents on Scholarworks
- Updating activity reports on research clusters
ICS interns are eligible to take ENG 4890 (ENG 5890 for graduate students) or AS 4890 (AS 5890) for up to three credit hours; students may be able to continue interning for a second semester. If they would prefer to do the internship without course credit, students may sign up for COOP 050, and the internship will still appear on their transcript.
Interns must have basic Microsoft Office skills; familiarity with Adobe Acrobat and/or Photoshop are preferred skills.
Application Materials are due March 20, 2017. Please submit via email to email@example.com the following:
• Letter of application, including:
o Your name
o Your major and year at BGSU
o Why you are interested in being an intern with ICS
o Your skills and interests that might be well suited to working with an interdisciplinary public humanities institute
o Previous experience with planning events and/or writing promotional materials
• List of two-three references, with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline, with finalists being invited to interview for the position by early April.
Questions should be emailed to ICS Director Jolie Sheffer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted in Internships ,Study and Learn February 21, 2017
$500 scholarship will be awarded to one undergraduate student majoring in Journalism and Public Relations.
- Must demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in sports media.
- Sophomore or Junior standing
- Completed application must be received in the School of Media and Communication office (302 West Hall) by Friday, March 10, 2017. Electronic submissions cannot be accepted.
Posted in Awards ,Scholarships February 16, 2017
The reporter is in charge of Anna, Botkins, Russia, Houston, Jackson Center and Minster communities. This includes compiling and budgeting the community pages each Tuesday through Saturday.
The reporter is also in charge of Common Pleas, Juvenile and Municipal court; marriages/divorces/dissolutions; real estate transfers; building permits; and compiling unemployment stories each month for Shelby and the surround counties.
The reporter attends council and board of education meetings in the communities assigned to him/her. The rotation of coverage changes depending on what is happening in the communities.
In addition, the reporter is also given general assignments/features to handle in a timely matter.
The person is the backup to the news editor and fills in on the desk when she is on vacation or off for the day.
The reporter also works with online, Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Contract Melanie Speicher, editor, 937-538-4822 or email resumes and samples of work to: email@example.com
Posted in Jobs ,Paid February 8, 2017
The Center for Innovative Food Technology (CIFT), based in Toledo, Ohio, is a developer and provider of technical innovations and solutions for the food processing, agribusiness and agricultural sectors of the economy in our region, our state and beyond. These innovations and solutions are developed in order to enhance the economic performance of the food processing and agricultural sectors.
The marketing and communications department at CIFT will hire one interested student for an internship during the spring 2017 (Jan. through May) term. The following areas will be some of the responsibilities:
- Write/edit content for printed materials including flyers, newsletters, brochures, advertisements, speaker bios, signage, etc.
- Assist in maintaining large online database of contacts.
- Event planning.
- Organize and maintain news clippings and photo file (scan newspapers, websites to clip/photocopy articles pertaining to CIFT and/or the industry in general); maintain news binders and filing system for easy access to CIFT employees; create monthly media/advertising reports.
- Research and evaluate potential marketing opportunities for CIFT.
- Assist in maintaining timely website and social media content.
- Ensuring media list remains up to date.
- Create media kits for CIFT events.
- Assist marketing and communications department in various projects.
- Perform other duties as directed (handling mailings, etc.).
We kindly ask that you relay this information to all classes, professors and students. Again, we are limiting the program to one student during the spring 2017 term, so those interested should email a résumé to Jim Konecny at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should possess effective oral and written communication skills and demonstrated computer literacy. In addition, applicants should be able to demonstrate a working understanding of marketing and communications.
Posted in Internships ,Study and Learn January 26, 2017
CIFT is looking for someone to assist our Manager, Marketing and Communications and this department with its functions, duties, activities, and events for CIFT and its programs.
Duties would include but not limited to:
- Assist in the production of press releases, success stories, marketing reports, and promotional materials both printed and electronic.
- Monitor and tend to all social media aspects and websites.
- Assist with organizing events and functions by lining up speakers, venues, catering and supplies needed to ensure its success.
- Research and evaluate potential marketing opportunities.
- Assist and support initiatives and other staff members as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations or business is preferred along with 1-3 years professional experience.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Comprehension of basic technical and food/agricultural subjects.
This position is part time and benefits are not provided. Position is based in our Toledo office and will require some travel within northwest Ohio. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Send resume with cover letter email@example.com.
Agribusiness Development Specialist
CIFT is seeking an experienced individual in the agricultural business field. The qualified candidate will have experience in applying new technology to existing agricultural businesses, identifying businesses to commercialize newly patented technologies, develop innovative approaches to expanding agribusinesses and evaluate methods for expanding business opportunities. Interactions with growers, established agri-businesses, commodity groups, academic and research representatives, and federal agencies are critical.
In addition to industry experience, CIFT prefers a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Agriculture Science, Engineering, or Business with a focus on Agriculture. An advanced degree is desired but not required. The successful candidate will also need extensive business connections and relationships with agricultural, food processing, and other agri-business companies and entities throughout Ohio.
The position is Toledo-based but will require extensive travel within Ohio. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
CIFT is committed to continually improving the recruitment, employment, and promotional opportunities for minorities and women. This commitment is integrated into the principles of the organization with the development of the Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action policy.
It is the official policy of CIFT to:
- Recruit, hire, train and promote into all job classifications the most qualified persons without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or status as a veteran;
- Base decisions on employment so as to further the principles of equal opportunity;
- Make employment and promotional decisions using reasonable standards based on the individual’s qualifications as they relate to a particular job vacancy and to the advancement of equal employment opportunity;
- Ensure that all other personnel actions, such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, return from layoff, company sponsored training, education, tuition assistance, social and recreational programs will be administered without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or status as a veteran.
This policy encompasses both the desire and the obligation of CIFT when conducting its business even when such business is not with a government agency or contractor who imposes equal opportunity clauses in its contracts.
CIFT is committed to the objectives of equal employment opportunity and expect the cooperation and participation of all employees, contractors and vendors in achieving these objectives.
Posted in Jobs ,Paid ,Study and Learn December 5, 2016
Civitas Media is recruiting page designers of varying experience to work our Miamisburg design centers. Successful candidates will be creative, motivated multi-taskers with a love of great design and an eye for detail. Applicants must be familiar with InDesign or Quark and have newspaper editing or reporting experience or education.
The Miamisburg, Ohio, center is located just off I-75 between Cincinnati and Dayton near a soon to be completed luxury movie theater, high end dining, shopping and everything urban nightlife has to offer.
We offer competitive compensation and a generous benefit package including health insurance, 401K and paid time off.
To apply email a cover letter, resume, references and examples of your design work to: email@example.com. Applications without design samples will not be considered.
Posted in Jobs ,Paid November 28, 2016
Want to get professional video news writing and anchoring experience for your career portfolio? We have just the project for you. Starting spring semester, we are partnering with WBGU-TV, the local PBS station, to create daily 60- to 90-second news updates that will air Monday through Friday on the PBS station, which encompasses Bowling Green and the 19 surrounding counties.
We are looking for motivated and self-starting journalism students who can write short broadcast news stories, put them in order of importance, and then read them on camera. The taped updates will be aired throughout the day on WBGU-TV.
You can be a broadcast student looking to polish and showcase your skills or a multi-platform or public relations student looking to expand your skill set in a professional television studio setting. Candidates should be journalism students with at least J2500 credit and decent writing skills. Students will commit to at least one morning per week for writing and taping, be supervised by journalism faculty and staff at WBGU-TV, and earn graded independent study credit. Production will be done at the PBS station on Troup Street.
To apply, email Kelly Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org). In your email, please give your phone number and describe your skills and experience. Students will be contacted for a follow-up interview. For more information, contact Kelly Taylor (email@example.com) or Ken Garland (firstname.lastname@example.org). Deadline is Thursday, Dec. 8 by 5 p.m.
Posted in Jobs ,Study and Learn November 28, 2016