1. Did the multiple formats available allow for equality among all learner’s by applying UDL practices?

I think the multiple learning formats definitely help with the equality for the learner as it provides audio and visual stimulation. As Ginnette mentioned, hands-on approaches are also usually quite beneficial to a learner, and would be applicable to Universal Design Learning kinesthetic styles. I enjoyed the different formats, but did find the voice to be a little quick when speaking. Made it interesting nonetheless. I only would like to see tone variation in her voice. Otherwise she is a savvy one :) . I think it is great that there are so many different modalities available in an effort to reach all ‘universal’ learners. We do all learn differently, so it makes sense to deliver learning in various ways.

2. How would you use UDL tools and activities to enhance your design for learning?

I would use UDL tools and activities like kinesthetic, audio, and image approaches in combination when possible. For example, I once taught a class how to make no-bake cookies. Instead of simply telling them and giving them the recipe, I took them through the steps with actual ingredients, engaging audience participation, and providing a sample of the end result :) . Although it was simple, I think if we could make efforts to think outside of the box a bit we would be surprised by the results. That exercise seemed to maintain learner attention, and students were engaging on their own volition. Allowing the learner to enjoy their experience as a student, I think is important in their own investment.

Posted by on October 27th, 2010 at 4:56 pm