Then, in your blog posts, share (A) your current views (as a result of researching and listening to arguments on both sides) on the real effects on Web use on thinking and learning and (B) potential strategies for learning designers to use to ensure that the products they create are truly beneficial for the learners who use them.

A- After reviewing all of our debate information I am a bit undecided if I support one ‘side’ or the other……solely.  I do feel from the evidence and my own experience that web thinking and learning is not as in depth with the context of reading.  Even when I do desire to read an entire article or document, I will usually print it then read it.  For some reason it is bothersome to me to read lengthy material on the web.  Maybe I have just taught myself this, but I do think there is some validity to the lack of actual reading that is taking place on the web.  I also do think there is real concern for the authority of material we find, and if it is truly credible.  Just because we see it on the web, does that make it true/accurate?  On the other hand, I feel like the web offers a wonderful way to research and find out information that would otherwise likely take much more time to resolve.   I think as with anything in our lives, it will take time and work for us to find a balance between the two.  And that balance may vary from person to person.

B-I think strategies for Learning Designers to ensure that what they create is beneficial for the learners using them may include providing authority, credibility, and remembering the ILO of the material.  To not lose focus on what they are trying to connect with the learner.  I think that would help with comprehension and retention of the web material.  Make navigation easy to follow, and points clear/concise.  Don’t make things to busy or they may again just scan the information looking for what they “need to know”.  I am a fan of implementing pictures/images, etc. to relate to the material.  I also think that helps with connection.

Please also share some reflections on what it was like to try to collaborate with teammates online, your role in your team’s efforts, and any ideas or suggestions you have for making this project even better for future students.

Collaborating online can be challenging anytime when you have mix classmates together who have several committments and responsibilities.  This was no exception, but we were able to work it out in the end together.  My role in our team’s efforts includes:  initiating and maitaining open lines of communication throughout the project via e-mail and other sources, researching and posting supporting points of Carr’s theory, posting several audio/written comments to the voice thread, and helping with the decision making of delegating tasks.   Possibly in the future, maybe you could include a guideline of tasks, allow an extra day in-between rebuttals, and/or allow for peer feedback participation form of sorts within the team.  That may be insightful.

Posted by on October 22nd, 2010 at 8:49 am