Book Review: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

BGSU staff member Anne Lake offers this review of The False Prince by JenniferA. Nielsen published by Scholastic Press in April 2012:

GAH! THIS BOOK! Soooooooooooo good!!!

Firstly, I’m loving the trend toward high/epic fantasy in YA/MG books. It is hands down my favorite genre and YA was too busy obsessing over paranormals for a long time to do much else. Since I’ve kind of overdosed on paranormal romance, I’m so happy that trend is changing!

The big thing I loved about this book was the biased narrator. As I’ve often said, my favorite part of reading is trying to figure out what will happen next. The best stories are the ones that keep me guessing and a biased, or at least not entirely truthful narrator is a great way of doing that. I didn’t guess the big shocker until a few pages before it came out and even then I wasn’t sure I was right. GoodReads tells me this is an MG novel but I never would have put it there (unless basing it only on the age of the main character) because of the complexity of the story line.

I also really loved Sage as a character. There were so many things he did that I didn’t agree with – lying, stealing, cheating etc. And yet, I couldn’t help but love him at the same time. He is so resourceful and yet so sassy. I admire his “devil may care” attitude – I certainly wouldn’t be that brave, given the situation.

It is incredibly difficult to review this one without giving anything away, so I’ll just say – you should read this if you like high fantasy AT ALL! Now let me go back to waiting anxiously for book 2!

Recent Posts

Latest Links